On May 11, 2017, President Trump announced the formation of the Bipartisan Presidential Commission on Election Integrity. The makeup of the commission is as follows:
- Mike Pence, Vice President of the United States & Chair (R)
- Kris Kobach Secretary of State of Kansas & Vice Chair (R)
- Connie Lawson, Secretary of State of Indiana (R)
- Bill Gardner, Secretary of State of New Hampshire (D)
- Matthew Dunlap, Secretary of State of Maine (D)
- Ken Blackwell, Former Secretary of State of Ohio (R)
- Christy McCormick, Commissioner, Election Assistance Commission (D)
Today, Willamette Week has published the latest edition of The Good, the Bad and the Awful: Our 2017 Ranking of Portland-Area Lawmakers. The entire thing is worth reading for the facinating insights. Here are my favorite bits:
In 2016, Oregon Republicans broke their statewide losing streak. Dennis Richardson became the first Republican elected statewide since Gordon Smith won re-election to the U.S. Senate in 2002.
Richardson’s win led to rampant speculation about the potential of electing a Republican governor. Oregon’s last Republican governor — Vic Atiyeh — was first elected in 1978 and was re-elected in 1982.